Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Peak a Boo, Can't Wait to Show This Off to You

What seems like a life time ago, we began work on a 1971 Overlander. This project has been shuffled in and out of the shop floor a number of times while other projects have been worked on. It is now the main focus. Until she is completed we are doing nothing else. I thought I would give you folks a little glimpse at some the things we are doing. 


The entire interior is all new except for the front and rear end caps. The furniture is constructed of high gloss, white laminate edged in aluminum. Keep in mind, the interior is just beginning to go back in.


The layout we are doing is fairly traditional as far as a twin bed Overlanders goes, but the surfaces are all very modern and crisp. All the materials going into this project are also very green. No, not the color green, environmentally friendly.


In this era trailer, plastic bins were used as storage drawers. We have however gone with full extension drawers. There are a lot of drawers in this trailer.


As the interior continues to go in, I promise more than a glimpse of this and that.


I would like to show you something new to me and most likely new to you also. The customer brought this material to me and I really like the way it looks. For the counter tops, we are using a plywood like product made from agricultural byproduct. This is called Kirei board


The board is made of sorghum stalks and a small amount of poplar. It is compressed and glued together to form a sheet material. It is inherently soft, so we are saturating it with West System epoxy to make it hard and impervious to water.


The contrast between this material and the gloss white is going to look very spectacular. 

As we get more of this trailer put together, I promise to share more of the details with you. 

3 comments:

  1. I have to shamefully admit that I curse the plastic bins everytime I gingerly try to pull my jeans out on a camptrip! I am however thanful they are there, they hold so much! But I have cracked a few in my day. That is one thing out little 66 Tradewind has is plenty of storage. I was thinking about checking out a new container maybe somthing along the lines of a milk crate at The Container store? For a stronger replacement once I crack more than half of them ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update Frank. That is a very interesting material. I can't wait to see it all completed. I'm sure it will be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is such a tease!
    Can't wait to see it more pictures when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete