"So Frank, what gives with Lu Lu? I am waiting for a post" is what the email said. I love these kind of correspondences. They balance out the "Frank, I found this Airstream and I am in love" that I get so often these days. So for all those waiting, here you go. One of the things I am doing to Lu Lu is replacing all of the belly pan. From stem to stern it will all be new soon enough. Built in 1961 Lu Lu has bounced down a lot of roads. Her axles were bad for a number of those years and as a result many of the out riggers have sawn their way through the belly pan. I have a remedy for this issue. The fact that a well know renovation/ restoration shop North of me replaced the axle last year is a huge bonus to keeping it from happening again. I have also imported a technique from the UK to prevent it even when the current axles fail. Stay tuned for that one.
One issue I am seeing is leaks. My client will either need me to or do it themselves, but the seams need to be sealed. There are at least three good leaks going on. If left to fester these leaks will create issues in the future.
On top of the bees I showed in my last post, there are the usual mud dabbers. The usual mice making home in the belly.
I did find this. The flare fitting was over tightened and split. I am not sure if it was when the axles were replaced, for this would have been the fitting I would have removed when changing the axle, but it is split and would have been a leak for sure.
I did finally get the black tank valve off. A plate is being machined to convert the tank over to a modern Valtura valve. Stay tuned for this part at a later date.
I did find some rot, The total area is about 3" x 2" and involves one elevator bolt. I cannot justify removing the entire bathroom to fix such a small area. A combination of rot killing chemicals and high tech structural epoxy will need to be the fix. My client will also just need to keep an eye on the area.
I have to say I am actually shocked by the condition of Lu Lu's structure. I thought for sure I would find at least a broken out rigger. I would have bet a heathy sum on finding the rear all rotted out. I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong.